We're building a social movement to change how people think, feel and act about ageing.
More than 2,500 people have joined our Age-friendly Movement
Our Age-friendly Movement is changing attitudes around ageing. This includes a bold campaign to tackle ageism.
Ageism means we don’t value older people or invest in ways to help people age well. Ageism affects people of all ages, but its damaging impact is often felt most strongly as people age, whether through discrimination in the workplace or being denied access to potentially life-saving healthcare. Our latest report Ageism: What's the harm? examines the impact that ageism has on our lives and on society.
Tackling ageism has always been a fundamental aspect of Ageing Better’s work and this year we’ll step it up a gear, continuing to build an Age-friendly Movement ready to support our new public-facing campaign this autumn, which will get everyone thinking and acting differently about age and ageing.
In the meantime we’ll continue our work to address ageism:
- by looking at how older people are depicted by the UK film industry with a new report
- through our Age-positive image library which tackles ageism by presenting a more realistic depiction of ageing
- with organisations who’ve signed the Age-friendly Employer Pledge to look at how companies can recruit and retain older workers
- by promoting our guidance for organisations on talking about and challenging ageism
Join our Age-friendly Movement
Everyone, everywhere has a stake in changing how we view older age – so take the first step in challenging ageism and join our Age-friendly Movement; sign up below for news about our work and how you can help us over the next few months.
As a supporter you will:
- hear more about our plans for the ageism campaign as they develop – via our newsletter
- keep updated about our resources that will help you challenge ageism in your everyday life and help make your community more age-friendly
- find out how you can get involved in and support campaign activity – for example, signing joint letters for action to challenge ageism in society, sharing our social media resources
- have the chance to share your stories of ageism and positive ageing as part of the age-friendly campaign
Ageism Action Day
Our new Action Day on 20th of March 2024 is a chance for everyone to do something to change the narrative about ageing.